Sunday, December 17

Come My Way, Pt. i/iii

Some of you may have heard that song by Skillet: "Come My Way". Well, this story is inspired by that song. (If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend it. It's 5 stars on my iTunes!)


Come My Way

“He’s coming! He’s coming here!”

I lifted my head from the encrusted, bloody rags I was wrapped in, my breath sending up clouds of steam into the icy, early morning air. Breathing onto my hands to warm them, I looked curiously at the gathering crowd. Who was coming? And why such the big hubbub?

I pulled the rags tighter around my shoulders and tried to curl into a tighter ball to warm up. My legs were numb and nearly feelingless from spending the night in the cold. I had long since spent what little money I had on doctors, trying to cure me of the hemorrhages I’d had for nearly thirteen years now. Now, here I was: penniless, homeless, hopeless.

People started waking from the commotion and coming into the streets. I was easily ignored, and that was fine with me. I had had my share of stares and pointing fingers.

The streets now began to fill up, just as the sun was poking over the mountains to the east. “He’s coming!”

“Who?” I called to no one in particular, but my voice seemed lost in the bustle. I rubbed my legs, trying to restore feeling to them as the edge of the crowd began working its way toward me. Standing shakily, I leaned against the house I was by to steady myself. “Who’s coming?” I tried again.

This time I received an answer. “The great miracle-worker! The one who claims to be the Messiah!”

My heart nearly froze as stiff as my legs. Jesus! Word of all his miracles had reached our ears. Some scoffed and disbelieved. Not me. I believed every word I heard. Turning water into wine, cleansing a man from leprosy, walking on water—how could anyone not believe? Oh, if only He would come my way. If only I could merely touch Him, I was certain He could help me. If He would come my way when He came through the town. Maybe, just maybe, He would pass by the spot where I was.

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home